Tips for Caring for Your Bathroom Toilet
Feb 08, 2023
Regular maintenance and cleaning of your toilet helps keep it safe, sanitary, and looking good for years to come. Here are some tips for how to take care of and clean your bathroom toilet:
Cleaning the Exterior and Interior of Your Toilet
- Clean the Exterior - To clean the outside of the toilet, simply use a bathroom or all-purpose cleaner and an old rag. Make sure to wipe down the handle, tank, and bowl.
- Clean the Interior - To clean the inside of the bowl, use a good bowl cleaner and an old rag as well. Make sure it gets into all the crevices, and allow the cleaner to set for several minutes. Then, scrub it with a bowl brush, and flush to rinse.
Preventing Build-Up and Blockages
- Pro Tip: Be Mindful of What You Put Down the Toilet - To avoid any clogs or blockages, avoid flushing anything other than toilet paper down the toilet. Even if something is labeled as being "flushable", it can still cause a blockage.
- Use a Toilet Bowl Cleaner Regularly - Use a chemical toilet bowl cleaner once a week to reduce mineral and bacterial build-up. This will help ensure that your toilet is flushed quickly and easily.
- Consider Adding a Deodorizer - Consider adding a deodorizer to both the tank and bowl, as this will help reduce any bad smells that might come from your toilet. At the same time, it will help kill off any bacteria that could lead to odors.
Regularly Inspect Your Toilet
- Check for Leaks - Make sure to check for any leaks coming from the tank or bowl. If you do find any, you should repair them immediately before they cause any major damage.
- Inspect the Flush Valve - Check to ensure that the flush valve is working properly. If you notice it’s not flush efficiently or completely cleaned, you may need to adjust the tank handle or replace the valve altogether.
- Empty the Tank - Check the tank periodically to ensure it isn't holding any water or debris. Use a wet shop vacuum or a regular vacuum cleaner to remove any debris or water.
By following these easy tips, you can ensure that your bathroom toilet stays clean and functioning properly for years to come.