The Basics of Installing a Toilet in the Bathroom
Feb 08, 2023
Installing a toilet in a bathroom is a daunting task, but it is possible to do assuming you have some basic DIY knowledge and tools. Here we look at the basics of how to install a toilet in the bathroom.
Before getting started with the installation, it is important to have the right tools for the job.
- Tape measure - for measuring spaces to make sure the toilet fits
- Level - for ensuring the toilet is installed properly and level on the floor
- Socket wrench and closet bolts - for securing the toilet to the floor
- Utility knife - for cutting the waxed paper
- Caulking gun - for sealing around the base and toilet
- Pipe wrench - for disconnecting the water feed
- Adjustable wrench - for securing the nuts and washers on the water feed and flush handle
- Putty knife - for scraping away old wax seal and excess sealant
- Pliers - for gripping or loosening various parts and components
- Crowbar - for breaking up the floor if needed
Installation StepsAssuming you have all the tools you need, here are the basic steps you will need to follow to install a toilet in your bathroom:
1. Shut off the waterBefore removing the old toilet, you need to shut off the water at the main valve (or stop valve). This will stop the water from flowing through the toilet.
2. Prepping the areaUsing your utility knife, you will need to cut off the waxed paper from underneath the old toilet. This needs to be done so the waxed seal does not get reused.
3. Connecting the toiletOnce the toilet is in place and securely mounted, you need to make sure all the connections are secure. This includes connecting the water feed and the flush handle. You will need to use the socket wrench and adjustable wrench to tighten the nuts and washers.
4. Caulking the toilet
Finally, you need to apply a caulk around the base of the toilet to ensure it is sealed. This will help prevent any water leaking from the toilet. Once the caulk is in place, you can turn the water back on and you are good to go.